Monday, October 3, 2011

What we do here.

Work.
They don't call it work because it's fun. If it was fun, they'd say "have a nice day at fun today."
No.. Not fun. Work.
Now I'm not saying work can't be fun. I'm also not saying work isn't rewarding.
But honestly, take an inventory. If you had enough money to live comfortably so that you didn't have to do whatever thing it is you do to earn a paycheck, would you still do the work?
If the answer is yes, stop reading now. We congratulate you on your fabulous life and wish you all the best
If the answer is no, read on fellow traveler.

I fall in the "no" camp.
I wouldn't do what I do if there was no paycheck attached. It's not that this is some sort of slave labor. Far from it. It's not that my health is endangered or I feel
So what is it we do here?
Well....it's this. We, me and my people, we see how things are done.
We think, "gee, that's taking the long way home. I think I can figure a way to do it better. Be more efficient. "
Sometimes, that involves technology.
We, me and my people, are middle men. We hear what the business needs and we work with hard core technicians to make magic in that box on the flow chart that I like to call ATAMO (and than a miracle occurred).
And for me, the reward in this process, aside from the paycheck, is knowing that I automated the dotting of the I or the crossing of the T....or perhaps no automation but just getting rid of superfluous steps, consolidating efforts, what have you.
Knowing that I made it better......that's my reward. I don't want sparkly certificates or accolades. however, you want to bump up the numbers on my annual income? Gladly, I'll accept it.

I'm not a glory-monger. Never have been.
And I'm not a PR chick.
The whole title of this blog is "flying below radar".....I work that way too. I'll make your life easier, you just leave me alone and let me do it.

But it seems in corporate-land, unless you're willing to shout your accomplishments from the tallest tower and polish up some glossy powerpoint presentations for executives, you haven't done your job.

I.
Hate.
That.
Garbage.

And it is indeed garbage. It didn't get anything done except make some manager feel better. Sure, i can whip up some charts and graphs and B.S. statistics about what we've done and make it sound like we've built hoover dam when it in truth it was more like a beaver dam. And when we build Hoover dam and nobody notices except for those in the trenches, well that's just fine with me because the trench-dwellers and I know that their job is now easier.

I detest horse and pony shows. I'm here to actually raise the animal, not pose for pictures.
SO, I'm hoping that in the coming weeks, all of this nonsense attention crap that has everyone falling over themselves will just ....evaporate....so that i can get back to doing what I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment